City Life + Arts

Weekender guide: Nov. 7 to 9

Five things to do at UH this weekend:

Homecoming Fiesta and Fireworks

Join the Homecoming Board from 5:30 to 7 p.m. today at Lynn Eusan Park as they close out Homecoming Week with carnival games and fireworks.
Price: Free

Write-a-thon

This fundraiser is a 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. all-day writing event Saturday at the Classroom and Business Building, Rm. 238, with contests, prizes, food and a helping of inspiration. It’s a chance for writers, new and old, to to perfect their craft and network with professionals. Donations are required for participation in this event (but they are tax-deductible, if that’s your thing).
Price: Varies

Feature basketball UH V UCf (118 of 373)-PRINT-Emily-Chambers

The men’s basketball team under coach Kelvin Sampson are taking on their first opponent Saturday before the official start of the season. | File photo/ The Cougar

UH vs. North Alabama: Basketball

Watch the men’s basketball team take on University of North Alabama in their exhibition game at noon Saturday in Hofheinz Pavilion and get pumped up before the homecoming football game.
Price: Free with student ID

UH vs. Tulane: Football

Support the UH football team as they host Tulane 2:30 p.m. Saturday at TDECU Stadium. The Student Government Association will tailgate at 10 a.m.
Price: Free with student ID

Walk MS: Houston

Walk a mile or 5k route from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center to help support the National Multiple Sclerosis Society as it raises funds for people affected by MS. Refreshments and entertainment will be provided before and after the event.
Price: Free; pledges and donations welcome

Five Things to Do in Houston This Weekend:

November Gulf Coast Reading

The Gulf Coast magazine is hosting poets Elizabeth Lyons and Luisa Muradyan and fiction writers Caitlin Horrocks and Talia Mailman for another of their reading series. Join them from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. today at Rudyard’s Pub and let your imaginations run wild.
Price: Free

A Man’s Requiem

Korean dance company SEOP, who combines traditional and contemporary Korean dance techniques, is making its U.S. premiere at 7:30 p.m. today at Miller Outdoor Theatre. Through a display of sound, color and movement,  “A Man’s Requiem” explores the theme of  “when a sinner dies, he must be judged.”
Price: Free

International Festival

Celebrate diversity and cultures from all over the world during the ninth annual International Festival from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in Sugarland Town Square. There will be booths showcasing different countries, entertainment and samples of international cuisines.
Price: Free

“Wonder Bitch”

“Wonder Bitch”  is an art exhibition of pen drawings on 500 yellow post-its that follow a rough patch in the artist’s life that self-reflect, remind her what not to do and comment on issues such as gender, race and class. The exhibition’s open house is from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at Spring Street Studios.
Price: Free

Rice Village Flea Market

See if you get lucky at this flea market that sells everything from upcycled furniture to unique gifts to antiques and more. Rice Village Flea operates the second Saturday and Sunday of every month and will be here Saturday and Sunday  from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at 5504 Morningside Drive, Houston, TX 77005. There will also be  local food trucks there to whet your appetite.
Price: Free