Spring Finals Edition

Bittersweet: End of finals means end of chapter for graduates

For Heather Childress and her daughter Sarah, the end of the semester marks more than just finishing another finals season. They will be walking across the stage together with the graduating UH class of 2015.

While the end of finals season brings excitement and anticipation for summer, it also serves as a closing point for the 4,958 UH students who will graduate May 15. Among the graduates will be Heather and Sarah, who will  graduate from the C. T. Bauer College of Business and the College of Education respectively.

For students who have spent a large part of their lives working toward earning a degree in higher education, this finals season will be the last one of their career at UH.

The class of 2015 hails from 37 countries, with graduates ranging in age from 18 years-old to 78 years-old. Omar Harmouche— the University’s youngest graduate this year— will receive a bachelor of science in biology, while the oldest graduate, Christopher Gantela, will earn a Ph.D. in geophysics.

As summer appears on the horizon, a chapter ends for the 2015 graduates of UH as the last exams are handed in and their last season of finals comes to close.

With the first graduation in TDECU Stadium and the presence of Matthew McConaughey, the city will be watching to see what to expect from the up-and-coming, Tier One university in years ahead.