West at top of the class

The third studio album from Kanye West, Graduation, has had an immense amount of hype in past months. From having to follow two critically-acclaimed albums to feuding with hip-hop powerhouse 50 Cent (whose album Curtis was also released today), West faces several challenges as a hip-hop artist. And when you have as much confidence and arrogance as West, you’re bound to hit brick walls of critics and naysayers.

Graduation starts off with "Good Morning," which sets the tone with a simple beat accented with orchestration similar to what was found on his 2005 sophomore release, Late Registration. West boasts, "Welcome to Graduation," as listeners prepare for the rest of the record.

West spent the better part of 2005 through 2007 recording Graduation and finished the record in August after adding on three new songs. As usual, West has allowed his production to take the spotlight. Sampling everything from European dance-rock stalwarts Daft Punk on the single, "Stronger," to Steely Dan on "Champion," to modern Top 40 artist Young Jeezy on "Can’t Tell Me Nothing," (who also lays down guest vocals on the disappointing "Can’t Tell Me Nothing" remix, a UK Bonus Track), West has stepped up his game, allowing for a wide range of influences to drive the production.

West has never been the best lyricist or emcee, but he has shown significant improvement in songwriting. Lyrically, this album is stellar. West and his fashion-fused egocentric hip-hop works well with his production style. Tracks such as "Glory," "Good Morning" and the laid-back "Everything I Am" really showcase West’s lyrical ability.

Unlike previous albums, West wanted to have a more centrally focused record and made a huge cut on the number of guest artists on Graduation. Many of the artists that contributed vocals to the record helped propel his songs into the light. Tracks such as "Homecoming," which features Coldplay singer Chris Martin, and "Flashing Lights," which features the slick vocal stylings of urban artist Dwele, allow for songs that are destined to be fan favorites.

In an interview with MTV, West claimed his biggest competition and rival is Justin Timberlake because he reaches a variety of crowds and is played on different radio stations, giving him widespread demographic appeal. Songs such as "Homecoming," which features a soulful piano melody; "Flashing Lights," which pushes a trance-laden break beat and, of course, the hit single "Stronger," which samples one of Daft Punk’s biggest hits, "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger," show West appealing to various crowds as well.

Although some guest vocals may be highlights on Graduation, they are also one of the biggest detractors on the album. West has been outshined by some of the guest vocals on previous albums – think back to Jay-Z on the "Diamonds (From Sierra Leone)" remix, Nas on "We Major" and Talib Kweli on "Get Em’ High." Along with Young Jeezy on the "Can’t Tell Me Nothing" remix, one of the biggest disappointments is Lil’ Wayne’s guest spot on "Barry Bonds." Wayne fails to deliver a worthy verse, more than likely due to his cough-drop-stuck-in-throat vocals, and listeners will most likely press "forward" before the song even finishes.

Graduation is destined for mainstream radio success. This album seems to be split into two halves, one half being more thought out and earnest and one being songs that are potential candidates for hit singles. "The Good Life," which features T-Pain, an artist whose vocoder talents have been heard in just about every song released this past summer, has been rumored to be the next single and is bound to be a banger at your favorite club or house party.

One of the most impressive tracks on the album is "Glory," which fans of 2004’s The College Dropout will be all over. The track has the familiar "chipmunk" samples we’ve all grown to love, and West hits hard with the lyrical angst from his debut.

The album closes with "Big Brother," an inspiring tribute to Jay-Z, whom West has considered a mentor for his entire career. West, being a protÈgÈ of Jay-Z, humbles down and takes the backseat (for once) to his boss as he asks, "Have you ever walked in the shadow of a giant?"

When all is said and done, Graduation does not disappoint at all. Although some of the beats won’t hit you as hard as previous ones in songs such as "Gold Digger," most of them get better with each listen. Graduation is an extremely well-crafted and well-rounded hip-hop record that will stand the test of time and still be talked about for years to come – but don’t act like I never told ya.

Graduation is in stores today.