Guest commentary: All UH Day: don’t miss out on all the fun

At this Saturday’s home football game against East Carolina at 6 p.m., the Athletics Department is celebrating its second annual All UH Day. We will be showing our appreciation for all UH System students, faculty and staff both before and during the game. We hope that the entire UHS community will come out to Robertson Stadium and enjoy the festivities.

For this game only, all UH System students get free admission by showing their student ID at Gate 12, and all UH System faculty and staff receive half-price tickets when they purchase them in advance. Faculty and staff members can call (713) GO-COOGS, visit the ticket office in the Athletics/Alumni Center or stop by the Athletics table at the University Center from noon to 2 p.m. on Thursday to get their discounted tickets. Be sure to bring your faculty or staff ID.

It’s also Family Weekend at Robertson Stadium, so UH students can buy half-price, reserved tickets for their parents and family members (which must be purchased in advance) when they take their student ID to the ticket office. These discounted tickets will be sold at the UC on Thursday as well.

All the fun begins before the game on Saturday, so be sure to come by early and enjoy one of three free tailgates. Interim President John Rudley is holding a tailgate for all UH System faculty and staff, the Division of Student Affairs is hosting a tailgate for all UH System students and the Dean of Students Office is hosting a tailgate for the parents and family members of UH students. All three tailgates, which will be serving free food and drinks while supplies last, will begin at 4 p.m. and will be held on the western side of Robertson Stadium inside the tailgate pavilions.

Outside of these great ticket discounts and tailgates, All UH Day will feature several recognitions and presentations throughout the football game. Select student groups and leaders will be acknowledged, including Teaching Excellence Award Winners, the Faculty Senate, Staff Council, the Student Government Association and the Council of Ethnic Organizations. Rudley and his wife Docia will serve as the honorary team captains and will be recognized at the coin toss.

You won’t want to miss all the action at Robertson Stadium this Saturday. After a big come-from-behind win over Colorado State last weekend, the Cougars are looking to extend their winning streak in an important conference match-up against the East Carolina Pirates.

We need your support, so get your tickets today, enjoy some free food at the pre-game tailgates and cheer on your Coogs to another victory.

De Leon, director of marketing for the Athletics Department, can be reached via [email protected]