Staff editorial: Bicycles critical for sake of environment

It’s unfortunate that we live in a city so consumed with cars and commuters seeing how we won’t readily see a decrease in the price of gas, we should support alternative methods of transportation to reduce the city’s traffic and environmental calamity.

For those who live inside Loop 610, commuting by bicycle shouldn’t be an issue – you just have to forget about the heat and humidity. As for those who live in the bleak suburbs of Houston, let those truck drivers and soccer moms know that just because you choose to ride a bicycle, it doesn’t mean you are a poor immigrant. Bicyclists have feelings too. Granted, it could take 10 minutes just to get out of your neighborhood, but your sweat is free and gas is not.

In fact, in cities around the world people are gearing up for their monthly group bicycle rides – otherwise known as Critical Mass bike rides.

The idea began in 1992 in San Francisco with monthly bike rides celebrating the alternative notion of creative and peaceful methods of transportation. Critical Mass rides are self-organized, non-commercial and non-competitive. The rides returned to Houston this year after a long slumber, but Critical Mass has witnessed a growth in participants since February.

A majority of cyclists, or activists, ride to make a statement – whether getting on their bicycle to ride alongside marching protestors, socializing with fellow cyclists or promoting alternative modes of transportation.

Though some say Critical Mass rallies should not be perceived as protest activities, many use it as an opportunity to voice our right to free speech – an entitlement that is often volatile. Police arrested about 400 bicycle riders during the days surrounding the Republican National Convention in late 2005, and New York City cycling advocates continue to face targeted surveillance and policing today.

Getting Houston motorists to share the road with bicyclists, though, is travail on its own. Occasionally, Critical Mass riders witness angry drivers yelling vulgarities at them. But this shouldn’t deter anyone from wanting to ditch her or his vehicles for bicycles. It’s fun, healthy and better for the climate change issues we are witnessing today.

We can only hope that the interaction between bicyclists and motorists will improve, and the only way this can be done is by educating folks on how to transform the city into being biker friendly. Maybe then we will finally witness less reluctance from Houston motorists who don’t know how to share the road.