Third week of fall practice for Cougars

The 2008 UH baseball season does not start until February, but fall practice has the team getting ready for what they think will be a great year.

Practice began on Oct. 1 and has the team working mostly on fundamentals of pitching and hitting.

Last season’s team was plagued with injuries, which led to a disappointing outcome when the Cougars made an early exit in the 2007 Conference USA Tournament.

Having healthy players along with a bright group of freshmen and incoming players should help the team get back into the postseason.

"We had a lot of injuries last year and a lot of those guys are coming back," junior infielder Jimmy Cesario said. "A lot of the incoming freshmen look pretty good talent-wise too. They’ll definitely contribute."

There are seven or eight new additions to the team that will warrant some playing time, Head Coach Rayner Noble said.

"It’s good because it pushed our frontline starters as well as builds some depth," Noble said.

As far as last season goes, the team has put it behind them and is looking strictly toward the future.

"We haven’t really talked about last season at all," sophomore pitcher Wes Musick said. "There is a different focus. I’m really excited about seeing what we can do this next season."

On the field, the players have begun hitting in the batting cages, and facing live pitching during weekend inter-squad games.

"On the weekend, we get more of a live setting, where we can work on our timing," Cesario said.

The pitching staff has also been hard at work, running drills and spending time improving their pitches.

"I’m just trying to locate all my pitches, and when the fall ends, just have all my pitches working," Musick said.

During the weekend, the team plays inter-squad games, where they are able to practice game-like situations.

They will play Thursday through Saturday as if they are playing a weekend series. Coach Noble has also found a way to keep the games competitive.

"We’ll have something at stake when we play our inter-squad games," Noble said. "The loser of the series will have some ramifications."

Under the new 2008 NCAA rules, the regular season will not begin until late February, but it will still end in mid-May, leaving less downtime in between games.

"I’m not a real fan of it," Noble said. "I just think we’re messing with a good thing."

Less rest between games will really tax team’s pitching staffs and will also leave players with less time in the classroom, Noble said.

The overall attitude is good thus far. The players are upbeat and excited about their upcoming season. Everybody seems ready to do his part to ensure that the team has a strong run in 2008.

"We just need to work hard and be the best that we can be," Cesario said.

Weekday practices are closed, but weekend practices will be open to all fans.

Workouts are scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. daily, and will run through early November, as long as the weather cooperates.