Hit ‘n’ run: Success all around for Boston teams

The weather forecast for Boston on Monday was mostly sunny with a high of around 80 degrees – an unseasonably high temperature for the Hub in late October. Could the next wave of global warming be stemming from organized sports?

The Boston Red Sox have won the American League pennant and are headed to the World Series, the New England Patriots are set on cruise control, shutting down teams week after week and the Boston College football team took over the number two spot in the Bowl Championship Series rankings while on a bye week.

With three legitimate chances to win a national title, things are surely upbeat in "The Old Towne." If the Boston Celtics and Bruins can pitch in, it will surely be a "wicked pissah" of a time.

Sox-ual Healing

The Red Sox completed their latest storybook comeback Sunday when their offense finally decided to show up to catapult the team into the World Series.

First baseman Kevin Youkilis, who hit .500 with three home runs and seven RBIs in the series, led the Sox. With the help of second baseman Dustin Pedroia, who went 5-for-9 with five runs and five RBIs in the final two games, the "come-back kids" put the Cleveland Indians in the rearview mirror, outscoring the Tribe 30-5 in the last three games of the series.

Beantown will host the World Series for the second time in four seasons and will hope to see closer Jonathan Papelbon, the newly crowned "Lord of the Dance," make another crowd-pleasing performance.

The Sox are set to open the Series against the Colorado Rockies on Wednesday at 7 p.m. Place your bets now on how many games will get snowed out.

So Happy Together

Newly pronounced BFFs Tom Brady and Randy Moss of the Patriots are making professional football players look like junior-varsity reserves, leading the team to a 7-0 start.

At this pace, Brady will throw for 61 touchdowns, destroying Peyton Manning’s single season record of 49. "Baby Daddy Brady" seems to have left his off-the-field distractions at home and has his sights set on a Super Bowl.

The label of "bad-boy" has been removed from Moss’ permanent record as he courteously leads the league in receiving yards (732) and receiving touchdowns (10).

To top it off, the Patriots defense ranks third in the NFL. And they have done all of this without a video camera in sight.

Flying High

"For Boston, for Boston / We sing our proud refrain," begins the Boston College fight song. The Eagles football team finally has a reason to sing aloud.

Not since the Flutie era have BC fans been so giddy for college football. The team has surprisingly gone 7-0 to open the season and is currently ranked second in all four bowl subdivision polls.

Led by senior quarterback Matt Ryan, the Eagles are becoming serious contenders for the national championship.

Ryan, a likely Heisman trophy finalist, has already thrown for 2,148 yards and 17 touchdowns this season. His play for the remainder of the season could determine whether the Eagles earn success.