Chills, fun on tap at Montrose pub crawl

For college students, the days of trick-or-treating as your favorite Jedi or Disney princess are long gone – at least I hope so. But for those bent on walking the streets zombie-style this Halloween there’s still hope.

Instead of going door-to-door and pestering your neighbors for Ring Pops and Pixy Stix, grab your broomsticks and pumpkin heads and make your way to the first annual Montrose Crawl to get your fill of drink specials and Halloween spirit this Wednesday.

Organizers of the Montrose Crawl hope to make Halloween a signature night in Montrose by combining a traditional pub crawl with the spirit of trick-or-treating.

The Halloween crawl will start at 7 p.m. at Agora, 1712 Westheimer Road and will make its way to four other bars – all within reasonable walking distance – along Westheimer. Agora, a cozy Greek-owned coffee house, boasts a wide selection of wine and imported beer and a new balcony for you smokers.

From Agora, the crawl will run down Westheimer, stopping at Poison Girl – a bar with six pinball machines, a back patio and a jukebox filled with local artists’ music. At Slider’s, 1424 Westheimer Road, patrons can try one of the club’s eight different blends of daiquiris, and concertgoers can check out a Misfits Tribute Band around 9 p.m. at Boondocks, 1417 Westheimer Road. Catbird’s, a patio bar known for serving up a tasteful selection of jazz at 1336 Westheimer Road, will mark the last stop on the crawl.

Crawlers can enjoy drink specials and Halloween activities at many of the bars, and prizes for best costumes will be awarded. Any patrons not fully clad in costume will be stoned mercilessly by the bartenders.

The event is free, and participating bars will not require covers or enforce drink minimums. The Montrose Crawl is open to everyone of drinking age. Adults are encouraged to attend and help create a new Houston tradition.

Seize the opportunity to dress up in gory costume and drink with your fellow Houstonians.

Don’t get stuck handing out candy to the kiddies.

For more information, visit www.montrosecrawl.com.