Walk to shed light on suicide

Helping to keep a loved one from committing suicide could be as easy as taking a step in the right direction.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention members said they hope people will do just that at Saturday’s Out of Darkness Walk – a campaign to help raise awareness about depression and to prevent suicide.

"The Out of the Darkness Walks are AFSP’s signature fundraising events," Wylie Tene, public relations manager for AFSP, said. "They are designed to not only raise much-needed funds for suicide prevention research and education, but also to erase the stigma surrounding the issue of mental illness and suicide."

AFSP is the only non-profit organization in the nation completely dedicated to the prevention and understanding of suicide through research and education, Tene said.

Every 16 minutes, someone kills himself or herself in the U.S., according to the AFSP Web site. And over half of the people who have committed suicide were affected by depression or some other "underlying mood disorder," Tene said.

The Association for Women in Communications, UH chapter has created a team to participate in the 5-kilometer walk and will be helping in the efforts to promote the event.

"I think it’s important to let people realize suicide isn’t the answer," Heather Martin, public relations senior and AWC treasurer, said. "It’s all about helping the community."

Approximately 10 people are signed up in the AWC’s team, and Martin said she would like more entries.

With 1,100 college students committing suicide each year, the AWC wants students to know "suicide is not the answer."

Anyone who is concerned about a friend or has thoughts about suicide should try to seek counseling, Tene said.

Thoughts of suicide are not uncommon for students, Ken Waldman, director of counseling and psychological services, said.

Up to 10 counseling sessions per academic year are available to UH students on campus at no cost, Waldman said.

If a student needs more than 10 sessions, they are charged a fee based on their household income.

Getting help might be the key to many of the lives saved, Waldman said.

"We have pages of client evaluations saying a counselor helped them turn their lives around," he said.

For emergencies, people can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, available 24 hours, at (800) 273-TALK.

The Out of Darkness Walk will be at the Stude Park/ White Oak Hike and Bike Trail. Anyone can register at the check-in table at 10 a.m. Registration is free. To donate to the cause, visit www.afst.org.