Forensic Society honors women

The UH Forensics Society Fifth Annual Alumni Reunion presented a former student with a Lifetime Achievement Award and honored four women Friday.

The reunion, "Celebration of the Women of the UH Forensic Society," honored Barbara Radnofsky, Patricia Kruppa, Linda Listrom, Dannetta English and Philip Zelikow.

"Debate was the single most important thing I did in college unquestionably," hall of fame inductee Radnofsky said. "(It) paved the way for me being a lawyer, and my political career as well. (It was) the single most important thing I did in college.’√Ñ√π

Radnofsky was the first woman in Texas to win the democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate.

Kruppa was the first woman ever to be named top speaker at the National Debate Tournament 50 years ago.

Director of the Forensics Society Mike Fain said he thinks it’√Ñ√¥s a shame most UH students know Hakeem Olajuwon attended UH, but have no idea who Kruppa is.

"The first woman to break a gender barrier was here on this campus," Fain said.

Kruppa said she was grateful to receive the award, and the best memories she has were created on the debate team.

"I don’t remember the topics we debated,"Kruppa said. "I don’t remember the tournaments that we won, (but) you do remember the good times and the friends that you had."

Listrom and her debate partner won the Texas State Championship in the Junior Division of the 1971-72 school year. Listrom has been named one of the top 500 lawyers and litigators in the U.S. by the Lawdragon 500 magazine.

"Debate really changed my life," Listrom said. "It was not easy to be a young woman in the competitive debate world in the early 1970s. It was an important experience to learn how to succeed, how to keep trying and how to move forward when you’re in a world of men.

Listrom said debate was the driving force to help her fulfill her goals.

"Debate helped me to believe in myself; it helped me to believe in my future, and it helped me to have goals and aspirations for my future, all of which are important,"she said.

Listrom also said she was pleased that UH revitalized the Forensics Society in 2001 after a period of inactivity.

English was also another person who came out of the forensics program as a success. She was recognized for her debate skills, as well as the many hours she spent volunteering.

English said she was surprised to receive the reward because she hasn’t had as much life experience as the honorees.

"Though I haven’t climbed far up the ladder of success yet, I hope to continue to reach out to the students here at UH and all over and use the people here that were inducted today as role models," English said. "Just like any other person I wouldn’t be where I was today without the University, without the Forensics Society, without the faculty and staff- without my mom."

Philip Zelikow said he felt like the odd man out – literally.

He said achievements are built on the shoulders of others’√Ñ√Æ and his have been built on the shoulders of his high school debate teacher.

"We’re all role models for other people whether we realize it or not. We all have that responsibility,"Zelikow said.

The UH Forensics Society teaches students debate and speech skills. Every year the team participates in a number of competitions.

The program was founded in 1951, but eventually was closed because of a lack of funds. In 2001, Fain and UH Vice President of Student Affairs, Elwyn Lee gave a new life and direction to the program.

"UH students thirst for tradition, well we started this five years ago – these people come from all over the country for this," Fain said.