Reservations for Six: Woods’ win streak still going strong

The PGA Tour’s 2008 season has finally begun and Tiger Woods remains ranked No. 1 in the world, a title his name has become synonymous with.

Woods has played only one PGA tournament so far this season, the Buick Invitational, and won it by eight shots. The win marks the fourth consecutive year he has won the event.

Woods also played overseas in the Dubai Desert Classic, winning a close battle against Ernie Els. He continues to play well heading into his 2008 campaign after coming off of a seven-win 2007 season in which he won over $10 million in earnings.

The PGA’s season is six tournaments deep with the Northern Trust Open on Thursday at the Riviera Country Club, Pacific Palisades, Calif. The defending champion, Charles Howell III, shot 16-under-par last year to win.

Steve Lowery beat Vijay Singh, the No.12 in the world, on the first playoff hole during last week’s AT’T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am from Spyglass Hill Golf Course, Pebble Beach, Calif. The win was Lowery’s third career PGA Tour victory, which have all been won by sudden death playoffs.

Although Woods will not play in this weekend’s tournament, he will participate in next week’s World Golf Championships -Accenture Match Play from Gallery Golf Club in Tucson, Ariz.

Woods will most likely skip the Shell Houston Open this year as it, once again, falls on the week before the Masters Tournament. Historically, most of the tour’s top players take the week off for rest.

Adam Scott, who won the Shell Houston Open last year, beating Stuart Appleby, will attempt to go back-to-back at Houston’s Redstone Golf Club in preparation for the Masters.

The only new tournament this season is the Puerto Rico Open from Coco Beach Golf ‘ Country Club, Coco Beach, Puerto Rico. This emphasizes the PGA Tour’s intention to branch out from the U.S.

Never changing, however, are the tour’s major venues, which include the Masters from Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, Ga; the U.S. Open from Torrey Pines Golf Club – South, La Jolla, Calif.; the British Open from Royal Birkdale Golf Club, Lancashire, England; and the PGA Championship at Oakland Hills Country Club – South in Bloomfield Township, Mich.

All eyes will remain on Woods this year as he continues to be the most dominate player on tour with 62 career victories.

Houston Rockets Watch

The Houston Rockets are one of the hottest teams in basketball as of late. The Rockets have won six consecutive games and 17 of their last 22. As of Monday, they sit tied with the Golden State Warriors for the Western Conference’s eighth and final playoff spot.

The Rockets have won 10-of-11 since the return of forward Tracy McGrady and are in the middle of a four game homestand.

The Rockets have also lost reserve guard Steve Francis for the rest of the season because of a leg injury.