West brings his soulful sound to campus

Los Angeles-based John West utilizes elements of soul, jazz and r’b to create his own blend of alternative rock music. Daily Cougar staff writer Roshan Bhatt spoke to West about his goals for 2008 and his coming tour, including a concert Wednesday at the University Center Satellite.

Roshan Bhatt: How is the recording process for you?† Do you record everything yourself in the studio? John West: I’m actually in the process right now of setting up a home studio. I had my computer stolen while I was on the road back in November, so it’s taken me a minute to get things up and running again. However, I don’t really consider myself a sound engineer, but if I can get some good guitar and vocals recorded at home, why not? Outside of that, I’m currently scouting the Los Angeles area to find a studio and producer/sound engineer to cut my next album. I really want it to be something organic and fun.

Bhatt: On your current tour, you are playing a few college campuses. Have you played campuses before? How do campus shows differ from the standard club show? West: I have played a few college shows out in California. College gigs are great because they often have decent budgets that help cover the cost of doing the rest of your tour. As far as how they compare to club shows, well, the main difference is that they are often during the daytime, so it’s just a†different vibe. They can be a bit more random than traditional club shows.

Bhatt: You have a very wide range of influences, including Otis Redding and Jack Johnson, both of which are apparent in your music. Why? West: Well, I didn’t listen to a lot of music growing up, so I think a lot of my sound just bubbled up from my soul – living in Baton Rouge, surrounded by jazz, the blues and plenty of people just strumming guitars. I remember when I first heard Jack Johnson in college, I was like "Oh, this sounds like what I’m trying to do!" So I guess my influences have been people that I already identified with in different ways before I even heard their music, it’s like it sounded familiar from the get-go.

Bhatt: Who are some of your current favorite artists? Of all-time? West: I feel like there’s still so much music to uncover in my lifetime – and, to be honest, I really haven’t been delving too deep lately to find that next great album … but some of all-time favorites would include Radiohead, Common, Norah Jones, Corinne Bailey Rae, Coldplay, Erykah Badu.

Bhatt: What are your main goals for 2008? West: I want to get a new album done, tour the east coast some, maybe drop by London, get some T-shirts designed, expand my audience and try to enjoy every minute of it.

Bhatt: You recently signed a deal with MySpace Records. How is the whole experience of knowing you are going to get more exposure through†an outlet and having an opportunity to reach a potentially huge fan base? West: It’s obviously a great blessing. I’ll say thank you quickly to Quddus, a friend of mine who has been championing my music for over a year, and consults for MySpace Records. This opportunity isn’t a traditional record deal, but more along of the lines of a promotional/development situation…. I have a lot of respect for the sort of new-model approach a label like MySpace Records is taking – it really is blazing a new path for the future of music, and I’m very grateful to be a part of it."

Bhatt: Have you played in Houston before? If yes, how was your experience? If no, are you looking forward to your first Houston show being at UH? West: This is my first Houston gig, and I’m excited to be able to play for all the folks at UH. ? Catch West from noon to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at the UC Satellite.