Cougars cool Ragin’ Cajuns

The Cougars’ small-ball minded offense doesn’t usually produce runs in bunches, but it found a way to batter Louisiana-Lafayette’s pitching staff.

UH rallied for a 14-8 win on the strength of a seven-run output in the sixth inning on Tuesday night at Cougar Field.

The Cougars (5-4) were shut out through the first four innings by ULL senior starter Buddy Glass, but roared back with three runs in the fifth before turning on the jets with 11 runs over their final three innings.

They did it mostly with small ball, especially in the sixth, where they had five hits, four stolen bases, a walk and a sacrifice fly.

"Coming into this season, we knew that we weren’t going to rely on the three-run homer, and that we were going to have to bunt, steal, hit and run-all the small-ball stuff," senior outfielder/pitcher Bryan Tully said.

"We’ve just been busting our backside to do that, and so it’s working out for us."

Tully batted 2-for-3 with two walks and 2 RBIs to help lead the way offensively. He also pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings to earn his second save.

Junior left-hander Jimmy Raviele (1-1) earned the win after allowing only one run on two hits in 1 1/3 innings. He had a rocky start, giving up hits to his first two batters, but settled down after that.

"Jimmy is another guy who has to learn what he’s got to do when he goes to the mound, and I thought that for about an inning and a third, he figured it out," UH head coach Rayner Noble said.

The Ragin’ Cajuns (3-6) scored four runs off sophomore left-hander Taylor Hammack and Raviele in the fifth to take a 6-0 lead.

The Cougars scored three times in the bottom of the fifth to pull within 6-3, but took the lead for good in the sixth.

Senior second baseman Ryan Lormand (3-for-5, 2 RBIs) and junior third baseman Jimmy Cesario started the rally by reaching on a single and a hit by pitch, respectively. The two moved up on a double-steal.

Two batters later, sophomore catcher Austin Goolsby hit a grounder to ULL sophomore shortstop William Long, who misplayed it for an error that allowed Goolsby to reach safely and Lormand to score.

Tully followed with a walk off ULL junior reliever Luke Wagley (0-2) to load the bases with one out.

Junior designated hitter Felix Fanaselle (2-for-3, 3 RBIs) punched a single that scored Cesario. Sophomore center fielder Zak Presley followed with a single that scored Goolsby and Tully and gave the Cougars a 7-6 lead, their first of the night.

Freshman shortstop Blake Kelso continued the onslaught by driving in Fanaselle with a single. Senior left fielder Jake Stewart drove in Presley with a sacrifice-fly, and Lormand, who led off the inning, drove in Kelso for the final run of the inning, giving the Cougars a commanding 10-6 lead.

UH will face Sacred Heart University (0-4) at 3 p.m. today at Cougar Field. Freshman left-hander Matt Taylor will make his first start of the season for the Cougars.