Notable night for men’s basketball seniors

The scene of senior guard Lanny Smith being embraced by his teammates and coaches during an emotional post-game celebration at halfcourt spoke volumes about the importance that he holds for the Cougars’ basketball program.

But the performance the fifth-year senior put on in UH’s regular-season home finale against Central Florida on Wednesday night probably spoke even more.

Smith stepped up his game in a big way, scoring 13 of his season-high 16 points in the second half in the Cougars’ 73-68 victory on Senior Night at Hofheinz Pavilion.

With the win, the Cougars (22-7, 11-4 Conference USA) clinched the No. 3 seed and a first-round bye in next week’s C-USA Tournament in Memphis, Tenn., and will play the winner of the No. 6 seed vs. No. 11 seed matchup at 2 p.m. March 13.

But for Smith, who has struggled to return to form after undergoing three operations on his left foot, Wednesday’s win held more importance than clinching the No. 3 seed.

"I can’t even explain it. I can’t contain (my emotions)," said Smith, who also had four assists. "The last five years have been hard, and just to end it this way on the court like this, it means a lot to me."

It also meant a lot for the other seniors, who stepped up, as well. Forward Tafari Toney (game-high tying 19 points), guard Robert "Fluff" McKiver (15 points) and guard Marcus Malone (a 3-pointer and two steals in the final 1 minute 22 seconds) made big plays down the stretch when the Golden Knights (16-13, 9-6 C-USA) threatened to retake the momentum.

But following the game, much of the talk centered on Smith.

"Lanny was due for a great performance," Malone said. "That dude has been through so much, (and) I’m so happy for him, and him especially, because he’s the role model for UH, on and off the court.

"Things may not always go his way, (and) he’s always battling through injuries, but he’s our strength. He’s always there to give us a lifting word or a prayer, or just to be there, and I’m so happy for Lanny. This game was really about him because he’s a super senior, and he’s been here through (the years) when they haven’t been good at all. He’s helping us rise to the top."