Signal’ turns on the blood, gore

A bizarre television transmission prompts people to decapitate or murder anyone within plain sight in the recently released indie film, The Signal, released in theaters Feb. 22.

Severed into three parts, The Signal revolves around an obsessively jealous husband and his wife’s forbidden love affair.

Directors David Bruckner, Jacob Gentry and Dan Bush, each responsible for a third of the script and film production, took full advantage of power tools, a balloon pump and an extermination apparatus as a means of killing.

"Transmission I," directed by Bruckner, follows the adulterous wife into a desolate parking garage where a bloody man is seated near her bumper begging for help. Stunned and overwhelmed, she races home to find her building in an upheaval and her overly inquisitive husband anxiously awaiting her return.

"Transmission II," directed by Gentry, opens with a dazed woman blankly staring into the eyes of her dead husband seated across from her at the table, as they wait for a party guest to arrive. The few in attendance are welcomed with pretzels and panic.

"Transmission III," directed by Bush, finds the jealous husband and the love-struck boyfriend scrambling to win the affection of their shared partner in a station terminal full of corpses.

The Signal boasts mind-bending gore and grotesque murder sequences, all the while making light of the mayhem.