Staff Editorial: Things to do, or not do, during spring break

Did you remember to vote in the Student Government Association elections today? It’s not too late – visit www.studentelection.uh.edu to cast your vote, and be sure to get the scoop from The Daily Cougar Voter’s Guide at www.thedailycougar.com/2008voterguide. Polls close at 8 p.m. today.

With that done, you’re ready for spring break.

Of course rain and clouds may be present on one day or another, but who cares, we don’t have to wake up and go to class, right? The Daily Cougar is delighted to remind you what you should and should not do during spring break. This list is compromised to the extent that we tried to make it generic enough so that everyone can benefit from this testimonial, including the mildly obese squirrels on every crevice of this campus.

If you plan on traveling outside the country, don’t forget to photocopy your passport and review your documentation before you leave, to avoid being stranded with the folks from Homeland Security. They are likely not as convivial as your intended companions. If you want to stay in Houston, perhaps you can pull some pranks on your zealous neighbors or make a campfire in the backyard of your parents’ house while they’re away.

If you’re the partying type, try not to fall victim to the lure of the binge-drinking scene. If you are adamant on drinking lots of alcohol as a way to "make up" for the days when you were sitting in class craving a beer, that’s fine, but as cliche as it sounds, don’t drink and drive. If you’re at a bar and feel as though you’re becoming hazy, don’t eat the peanuts that are always on bar tops or bar tables; they just make you thirsty for another beer (classic bar tactic). And if you are one to pick up a stranger, don’t pick up the STD that could potentially come along with him or her. Use a condom.

If you are a nerd, (there’s nothing wrong with nerds, especially the candy), and you want to catch up with homework or read a book that you’re actually interested in reading, you should try doing so al fresco at one of the many independent cafes in Montrose. They are especially fun if you need a break from your studies and want to people watch. You could always go to a park or one of the local museums to people watch; or for a change, to the zoo to animal watch.

The weather forecasts show sunny days ahead, so for all you folks out there who lack visible melanin – get a tan. Even better, you can work out and get a tan at the same time by playing sand volleyball at Memorial Park. Bring sunscreen and water, and tan safely. Remember, slowly but surely.

With beautiful weather on its way, there is really no reason why spring break should be anything but fun (see disclaimer on global warming).