Bauer games win at Fiesta

Students got an opportunity to dunk a professor or student leader into a water tank while seeking advice from administrators of the Bauer College of Business Tuesday at the second annual Registration Fiesta.

Undergraduate advisors and faculty assisted business students seeking the business course schedule and information about new electives at Melcher Hall.

"All the major advisors came up with the idea to educate students on what the school is offering for summer and spring," academic advisor Dawn Shaw said. "It’s an opportunity for students to figure out their schedule beforehand."

Aside from offering students information on study-abroad scholarships, the event attracted undergraduate students with music, food and games.

In addition to the entertainment offered, students were given advice on what courses to take and tips for choosing their future careers.

"This free event had a great turnout the first time we did it and is a great way for students to engage in activities that go on in Bauer," Shaw said. "For those who do not know the advisors available, this is the opportunity to do so while being in a fun and helpful environment."

Other students said they were interested in the information given during Registration Fiesta, which began last spring, because they missed it during the first registration period in the fall semester and didn’t know about the attractions or involvement of the Bauer faculty and academic advisors.

Some students brought along their friends so that they could also learn about what courses and majors Bauer had to offer.

"I told my friend, who’s a freshman, to come because I knew it was going to be very helpful and she was going to have the chance to meet some of the advisors," marketing senior Sehar Husain said.

The event is hosted to educate students about the courses available, Shaw said. The goal for Registration Fiesta, which coincides with Frontier Fiesta, was to increase awareness among students who don’t know about business student organizations or the different majors that Bauer offers, she said.

University studies sophomore Bela Patel said she found the event to be informative.

"I think this is a really good opportunity for students to go talk to the advisors rather than set up an appointment or wait in line," Patel said. "I think it’s very helpful."