Contest calls for creativity

The Office of Student Affairs will host the second annual photography contest, Through My Lens, in an attempt to involve more students in the UH Student Handbook.

Bianca Springer, assistant dean of Student Affairs, began the contest last spring as a way to inform students of University policies, which are outlined in the handbook.

"There was much complaint from the student body about the ignorance of rules because they had never read the Student Handbook," she said. "This idea for the contest came about to attract students to pick up the handbook."

The contest allows students to show off their camera skills, as the winning entry will be printed on the front cover of the handbook for the academic year of 2008-2009.

To submit an entry, the photograph must be in JPEG format with a minimum resolution of 300 dots per inch. Photographs can be either black-and-white or color, according to the contest rules. The deadline to enter photographs is 5 p.m. May 19.

Student groups as well as individuals can enter up to three works.

Springer said aside from photographs, the contest also accepts other works of art such as collages.

"The contest is open to other forms of media as well, such as paintings," she said.

As well as having a photograph featured on the cover, the winner of the contest will receive $300. The second and third place winners will receive cash prizes of $100 and $50, respectively.

According to the contest rules, judging criteria will consist of exhibiting an appropriate theme related to the University, originality and portraying diversity on campus.

For more information or to retrieve entry forms, visit the Office of Student Affairs in room 252 in the University Center or the Web site at www.uh.edu/dos.