Film fest creates opportunities

Students, faculty and alumni will have an opportunity to showcase their filmmaking talents in the Watch This film festival, scheduled in late April.

"Whether you’re an aspiring filmmaker or a seasoned vet, all entries will be considered for screening," media production senior Jacob Kurtz, cofounder of the festival, said. "This festival helps students and alumni get exposure from industry leading professionals."

The application deadline for the student-driven Watch This film festival is April 1, although no one has signed up to participate yet.

"I’m thinking that students and faculty are waiting until the last minute, because we haven’t had anyone sign up yet," Keith Houk, an assistant professor of communication, said.

The festival, scheduled to take place April 28 or 29 during the semester’s study days, will be the first hosted by the School of Communications.

"The festival highlights the tremendous talent we have here at the University," Kurtz said. "I believe our University deserves a film festival dedicated to our students and alumni."

Houk has arranged for three judges to view the films in April.

"I want their identities to remain unknown, but I will say there are two local judges familiar with the film and video art community in Houston as well as a commercial cinematographer from Los Angeles," Houk said.

The festival will be judged in three categories: documentary, experimental and narrative, according to a release. Each participant may enter up to two films with maximum length of 15 minutes each.

A separate category will be reserved for films made by faculty, staff and alumni.

"They can also submit educational or instructional short films that they have made to be judged separately," said Houk.

For more information regarding the film festival, visit www.uh.edu/watchthis or e-mail Keith Houk at [email protected].