Film Review: ‘Fatboy’ runs into audiences’ hearts

Five years ago, a so-called fatboy named Dennis (Simon Pegg), left his pregnant fiance e Libby (Thandie Newton) at the altar, running away from commitment and a love that he felt he didn’t deserve to feel.

Now, Dennis wants her back. Naturally, she’s not exactly inclined to let him back into her heart, especially since she met Whit (Hank Azaria), the suspiciously charming – and quite fit – American.

If a washboard stomach is all that separates him from the love of his life, our protagonist Dennis figures the way to win back the heart of his beloved would be to actually run into it. Whit runs marathons.

So will Dennis – with the help of his best friend Gordon (Dylan Moran) and his strangely paternal landlord (Harish Patel). Or will he?

The humor of Run Fatboy Run is sustained – like the way one would try to breathe during a good run – but this isn’t to say there aren’t plenty of hearty laugh-out-loud moments. While it’s a wee bit indulgent, the film attepmts to live in the realm of possibility and deal with issues that we all face, which may or may not actually be a virtue. It’s where realism meets escapism.

As a matter of comparison, the nature of the comedy continues in the same vein as Pegg’s previous offerings Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, but with a uniquely American twist in its direction.

Whether we would like to admit it or not, most of us can remember David Schwimmer as (arguably) the most neurotic of the "Friends" ensemble. It is almost too easy to dismiss Fatboy – Schwimmer’s motion picture directorial debut – an extension of the sickeningly quick and sweet squawking that we’re used to seeing from him on merciless TV reruns. However, this is not the case. Against all odds, he manages to leave behind the atrocious Friends spinoff, Joey, (his most recent attempt at direction) and tell a good story. The man deserves a chance to break out of the mold.

Granted, it might be impossible for Schwimmer to totally abandon the element of sweet in his projects, but at least in this case it is well balanced with some good old fashioned Pegg-ian gags – both fearless and seemingly inadvertent.

I suppose it’s a fair compromise. Coincidentally, this particular project will likely find appeal with a broader range of personalities as the film really operates on at least two different levels.

By the way, that cheery little tune in the trailer is called "Chelsea Dagger" by the Fratellis, a Scottish band that has taken the United Kingdom by storm with its debut smash Costello Music.