Softball: Cougars prepare for Memphis

With conference play in full swing, the Cougars will face off against Memphis University in a three-game series Saturday and Sunday at Cougar Softball Stadium.

"Memphis is second in the conference in homeruns," head coach Kyla Holas said. "We know they are going to bring a strong offense and some new pitching to the park this weekend."

No. 11 UH, who is 6-0 in conference play, heads into the series after shutting out the Southern Miss Golden Eagles in Sunday’s game.

"We are trying to focus on fundamentals and making sure we are working harder than our opponents right now," Holas said. "We take the approach that we have to earn our position every day."

With the Tigers second in the conference with 34 homeruns (UH is first with 35), the Cougars must focus on shutting down the offense in order to take the lead in the coming games, Holas said.

"(Tiger) Leila Dolfo is one of the conference’s leading hitters. We have to focus on limiting her successes if we want a chance to win," said Holas.

Although UH has strong hitters of their own like junior infielder Christa Raley, who was named Conference USA co-hitter of the week Monday after hitting a grand slam in game two against the Golden Eagles, getting comfortable is not something the team can afford, Holas said.

"We still have a lot to do at this point. We are only two series into conference and have some big, ranked non-conference opponents coming up," Holas said. "We have to make sure, right now, that we continue to get better, use our practice time wisely and strive toward having all 10 players performing well at the same time."

Continuing to strive for what is to come is a theme the Cougars adopted early on, and achieving season goals is going to take the same continued effort, said Holas.

"Our goal from day one has been reaching the college world series. (Being ranked) No. 11 does not accomplish that," Holas said. "We have to remember that every day and not settle."

The double header on Saturday begins at 1 p.m., and Game 3 on Sunday begins at 1 p.m. at Cougar Softball Stadium.