Houston prepares to face off against Baylor

After sweeping the three game series against East Carolina with two shutouts, including one game with a score of 16-0, the Cougars prepare to take on the Baylor University Bears (20-15) in a double header Wednesday.

"Baylor is always a tough opponent for us," head coach Kyla Holas said. "They are extremely aggressive in all aspects of the game."

The Cougars, who are 37-5 on the season, will be up against strong pitching and must be on their toes on defense, Holas said.

"(Baylor) is going to bring a very good No. 1 pitcher who throws hard. They take extra bases every time they get on, and they put some big swing on some balls at the plate."

After junior infielder Christa Raley was injured in a game against University of Texas-San Antonio, UH was forced to adjust their infield.

"I think at this point, we have covered all the possibilities and just need to execute," Holas said. "We have really focused on the things our opponents are going to be able to do."

Senior pitcher Angel Shamblin was named Conference USA Pitcher of the Week on Monday, but the Cougars will have to depend on all starting pitches for the series, not just Shamblin.

"We have watched Baillie (Lott) and Barbie (Love) work extremely hard in practice, and we see the type of pitches they are capable of throwing," Holas said.

"This team needs them to step up and complete games every time they get the opportunity. If we are going to make a run at post season, they are going to have to win ballgames without Angel’s help."

Baylor leads the Big 12 conference with a team batting average of .313, but Houston has been producing at the plate recently and hopes to continue that success, Holas said. Freshman infielder Jennifer Klinkert, who was named the Co-C-USA Hitter of the Week on Monday, had four hits and five RBIs against East Carolina, and junior outfielder Laurie Wagner had four hits and six RBIs in the series.

"We had some good at-bats this weekend. I think if we stay focused, we can be productive against Baylor, which should give us a chance to compete," Holas said.

The double header against the Bears begins at 3 p.m. Wednesday at Cougar Softball Stadium.