Program to better children’s lives

Inspired after she was greeted with a hug by a young boy in an orphanage she visited in her native country of Vietnam, marketing sophomore Mindy Le began a Keep a Child Alive chapter at UH.

The non-profit organization is designed to raise funds to provide medical services, and anti-retroviral treatment for AIDS victims and orphaned children in underdeveloped countries.

"I was inspired by the little boy’s hug. I felt that he wanted the motherly touch," UH Keep A Child Alive President Le said.

The non-profit organization was founded by Leigh Blake in 2002 after helping a single mother acquire anti-retroviral drugs for her 3-year-old son. "We are the future leaders of tomorrow. Why wait on tomorrow to do something?" asked Le, also the executive director for the West Region Chapter.

UH Keep A Child Alive Vice President and business sophomore Karla Hernandez, quickly became an efficient helper in building the campus organization.

"We have to show compassion towards others. If we don’t, the future leaders will be cold. If we are selfish now, how are we going to be able to offer a better future for tomorrow?," Hernandez said.

Le, Hernandez and the campus organization were awarded the 2008 MTV Youth Venture Award in December 2007 for proposing the "Dreams Come True" campaign.

"We want to make dreams come true by allowing the orphan children have a chance to live and accomplish goals," Le said.

"In history, it has always been known that the children and young people took a stand to make a difference," Le said. "We want UH to get students to come together."

The two organization leaders are motivated by Martin Luther King, Jr. and his revolutionary plans.

It took only one person to make a change. Looking to someone like MLK made it easier for us," Le said.

For more information, contact [email protected] or visit www.kcacollege.com.