Staff Editorial: Undocumented immigrants deserve a chance

UH is a diverse campus. We have growing organizations of various ethnic and religious backgrounds, and being that our country is an immigrant country, it is only fair that each and every one of us help push for immigration reform on campus. We must consider the human factor when we talk about immigration and immigration reform.

It should be difficult for Americans to look these hardworking men and women in the eye and tell them they cannot become citizens or get a well-paying job.

Immigrants, even illegal immigrants, should not be treated as a faceless mass pouring in over the border. Many of them are men and women with families who are seeking a better life.

We don’t advocate total amnesty or open immigration, but we do advocate compassion, especially when it comes to individuals brought here as children.

For undocumented immigrant students pursuing an education, the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act would have given them both amnesty and an education. However the bill did not pass legislation in October 2007, just as it did not pass in 2006. The legislatures forgot they were dealing with people who probably had no control over whether they came to this country but who are trying to make a life for themselves anyway.

The legislation would have provided legal status to immigrants under the age of 30 who arrived to the United States before the age of 16, lived in the country for more than five years and successfully completed high school. Those who met the requirements would become permanent residents once they completed two years of college or two years in the military.

Whether they were brought here knowingly or willingly, young, undocumented immigrants work to improve the lives of themselves, their families and their adopted countries.

It’s easy to de-humanize and dismiss these individuals, but we cannot lose sight of the fact that these are real people. Some of them don’t remember anything of their original country. Some of them don’t speak the language. Many of them could be, and are, assets to their new home. Some of these students come to UH – probably more than you think. They at least deserve a chance.

By reforming our immigration laws and giving amnesty to young immigrants in pursuit of an education, it will benefit not only the individual, but our society as well.

We cannot afford to ignore this issue any longer, and we cannot look away from the human beings who are impacted by the decisions our country makes. After all, this is not just an issue for one race, but an issue for all Americans.