Couch Potato ‘ Get Technical: Viewers prepare for HDTV takeover

The times, they are a-changin’ – again. The industry is simply abuzz about the imminent takeover of High-Definition Television on Feb. 17, 2009, while consumers become increasingly anxious. We ought to be excited, though, as change comes natural to couch potatoes. We change the channel, change the batteries in our remotes and change service providers. We are ready.

Life ‘ arts

Aside from actually showing us how the world changes in real time, the evolution of the tube itself reflects just how far we have come and literally represents American ingenuity. In a postmodern society the the television as a symbol has shifted from an exciting medium of art and escapism to one of life and reality.

With HDTV, there are several changes viewers should expect. Not only will there be noticeable improvement of video and audio output, there will be a dramatic change in the styles of programs. With pictures that are much clearer, human close-ups will become brutal like never before while landscapes and nature will suddenly become sights for sore eyes. Coincidentally, we are most likely to see a continuation of the de-emphasis on human-oriented dramas and sitcoms across the board.

This trend becomes quite evident once one leaves the prime-time giants. The rest of TV Land has already charted a course for adventure. Anchors aweigh, as they say.

The Lowdown

?If you watch broadcast television from local stations, your TV may not work after the switch to HD.

Congress passed a law in 2005 mandating that all full-power broadcast television stations in the U.S. must switch to an all-digital format, freeing the old analog TV spectrum for emergency and first responder use. The law also promises a clearer picture and better sound on your TV set.

If you subscribe to cable, satellite or another pay service, you will not need to change anything.

As part of the legislation requires, the government is offering up to two $40 coupons to be used toward the purchase of converter boxes rather than requiring the purchase of a new TV set. These boxes are to be used with any existing set that does not already have a digital tuner.

Chances of having a digital tuner are good if you purchased your set after 2004. If you have a TV older than that, it is unlikely that your TV will accept the new standard, meaning it will require a converter box.

If you do not know whether your TV has such a tuner, you can check your owners’ manual, or do a quick Web search for your model.

Other options for maintaining TV service are to purchase a new TV or to subscribe to a pay service.

Coupons will be available through March 31, 2009. After that time, consumers must purchase converter boxes at full price from retailers.

For more information or to sign up for coupons, visit www.dtv2009.gov.