Five minutes of fame: Graduate student protects his identity from fraud

Reyes Ramirez: It must sound creepy, but I saw you from a distance studying some papers. What are you studying?

Binu Varghese: It’s for a computer class and today my class is actually starting. The class is only a month long so I have to be prepared for the exams.

Ramirez: What’s the class?

Varghese: Data security. It’s stuff like encryptions and codes.

Ramirez: Do you like it?

Varghese: It’s a nice class because it covers important issues like Internet security and fraud.

Ramirez: Have you ever been a victim of security fraud?

Varghese: Actually, ten years back I got a fraud letter in India from the states from a guy offering me to invest money into his business. He said how I would get millions of dollars directly into my bank account.

Ramirez: I’m sure it sounded pretty awesome at the time. How did you figure out it was a scam?

Varghese: I talked to some of my friends about it and they got the same e-mails. We then figured out from there that it was a fraud.

Ramirez: So by taking this data security class, do you want to catch that guy and receive some sort of redemption for all those he has wronged?

Varghese: I can’t get all the money frauds have stolen back, but I can be more cautious and careful about stuff like that now.

Ramirez: What are you doing after this little interview?

Varghese: I’m going to class at (4p.m.). It’s been a long day. I’ve been working with others since 10 a.m. to now which is around 2:30 p.m.

Ramirez: So this is actually supposed to be your rest and yet you’re studying?

Varghese: Well, I also like watching the squirrels. They’re funny and cute little animals. Overall, it’s just a nice animal.

Ramirez: Well I’m going to leave you alone now. Have fun watching squirrels and busting frauds.

Varghese: Sure thing. Thanks a lot.