Staff editorial: Cougar puts fresh face forward

Our front page isn’t all that’s changed.

Here at The Daily Cougar, we’ve shifted fonts and focus to bring you the best newspaper we can. We’ve got more than new faces and a new look – we’ve got a new attitude. No, not the kind your mom yells at you for, the kind that will make sure you are presented with nothing short of a quality paper every day (well, every Tuesday and Thursday in the summer).

We’re excited, energized and ready to go. We’ve raised our expectations and outlook, and even the scorching Houston heat can’t stop us.

While you’re working long hours in summer classes, we’re right here with you. Pick up the paper to be informed about tuition and fees, the administration, student government and the University’s pursuit of flagship status. The Sports section will cover the good, the bad and everything in between for the Cougars, and the Life ‘ Arts section will be packed with interesting reviews and information on events around town.

But we’re not stopping there. Turn to the Opinion section or Web site to find interesting commentary and viewpoints that make for great conversation starters. Read more from your favorite Cougar columnists in Web logs and see what others have to say in the comments section.

But enough about us. We want to hear from you.

The Daily Cougar is a resource and you should take full advantage of it. If you have questions or concerns about the University, write us. Not happy with financial aid, PeopleSoft 8.9 (who is?) or dining options? Submit a guest commentary or become a columnist for the Opinion section.

Want to know what the deal is with all of the construction? Ask us. Have you also heard that weird banging noise by the Communication Building every night? Well, we’re on that one, but if something else has caught you’re interest, send our news editor an e-mail. We’ll stay on top of all important campus happenings, but if you have more questions, we have more answers.

Our job is to provide students, faculty and staff with accurate and relevant news, and that’s exactly what we plan to do. Don’t be fooled by our pretty new face. It really is more than skin deep.

If you like where we’re headed, come join us. The Daily Cougar is hiring writers for all sections and would love to have more dedicated, hardworking students on board.