College to offer new bachelor’s

This fall the UH College of Pharmacy will be the first school in Texas, and only one of a handful in the nation, to offer a bachelor of science in Pharmaceutical Sciences.

The College initially proposed the addition of a new degree program to increase opportunities for students interested in pharmaceutical research, healthcare and biotechnology. After the UH Board of Regents approved the degree program, in May 2007 a proposal was sent to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, which then approved the creation of the degree program in April.

"A bachelor of science degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences can help students become stronger candidates for a variety of career fields, such as healthcare, drug research and development, pharmaceutical marketing and biotechnology," said Catherine Hatfield, clinical assistant professor and assistant director for the BSPS degree.

At the undergraduate level, the College of Pharmacy offers only a pre-pharmacy curriculum, but the new undergraduate degree program will add to the college’s current master’s, doctoral and Ph. D. degrees.

The University’s proposal to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board states approximately 10 professors with doctoral or professional degrees in pharmacy science and related disciplines will be involved in the program’s first year. The college also plans to recruit more tenure-track faculty members for the program as the need arises.

In 2003 The American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education reported only 15 U.S. institutions offered the B.S. in Pharmaceutical Sciences degree, including Purdue University, University of Michigan, Campbell University and Massachusetts College of Pharmacy. Also, in July 2006 Business Facilities ranked Texas the third strongest state in biotechnology growth and capacity, mainly because of its advanced research facilities, the presence of important commercial companies and the school’s financing.

"After almost two years in the making, we are excited to offer this degree at the University of Houston," Hatfield said.

The BSPS degree will not qualify graduates to practice pharmacy, but will prepare them for professional programs and careers in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry.

"This degree program is also very rewarding for people interested in biotechnology because Houston offers excellent professional and research opportunities in biotechnology," Hatfield said.

Required BSPS courses will include Human Physiology and Pathophysiology, Dosage Forms and Calculations, Immunopharmacology and U.S. Health care systems, with a total of 119-126 credit hours required for graduation.

Students who are interested in changing their major to Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences can attend a BSPS advising session. The next advising session will be held at noon on June 20 in Science ‘ Research 2, Room 128.