Staff editorial: Reaction to Muslim presentation the real trouble

For a community whose very name denotes geniality, Friendswood has had a less-than-cordial reaction to an attempt at teaching tolerance.

A principal who approved a presentation titled "Islam: Respecting Diversity," has been removed from her position after a backlash from concerned community members.

The presentation taught the basic beliefs of Islam and was shown at Friendswood Junior High after a student was harassed for being Muslim.

After the sour response to its showing sans parental approval, Friendswood Superintendent Trish Hanks sent a letter to parents saying it had been approved for staff only. Under Principal Robin Lowe, the presentation was shown to students after what Hanks referred to as a "misunderstanding."

Many parents felt they should have been contacted before the showing.

Debbie Ratcliffe, a spokeswoman for the Texas Education Agency, told The Houston Chronicle parents may "remove their children from a class or activity that conflicts with their religious or moral beliefs. But schools are not required to send home permission slips before delving into potentially controversial lessons."

While gaining parental approval should have been taken into consideration, it’s hard to find offense in a presentation that promotes tolerance and understanding.

The hateful response of some community members is disturbing, but, in her letter, Hanks wrote that she was not surprised at the feedback from what she referred to as a "faith-based" community. Hanks’ reaction only strengthens the message that it is not important to understand certain religions.

Yes, the school should have notified parents, but parents should not be outraged at the idea of their children being presented with information about Muslim beliefs, and a principal certainly should not lose his or her job over the incident.

There is an important line drawn, for good reason, between religion and education, but there is a difference between teaching the ideals of a religion and teaching acceptance of its followers.

In the case of Friendswood Junior High, the presentation was intended to teach acceptance – something schools should teach for all religions and beliefs, whether they are Christian, Muslim or atheist. These beliefs, for better or worse, influence and shape our world, manifesting themselves in governments, education and wars. Children should be taught tolerance and acceptance of all people and all beliefs, and parents should welcome those teachings with open arms.