Staff Editorial:Freshman favoritism ends with new summer rates

Offering tuition discounts in the summer isn’t new for UH, but this year’s deal has one important difference: it isn’t limited to freshman.

The University’s Six Weeks 2 Success Initiative will offer discounted summer classes in Summer IV to all undergraduates, and the plan looks to be very beneficial.

Though similar to other discounts UH has offered, such as The Jump program, the reduced rates encompass an expanded course list that includes a number of upper-level courses, increasing the amount of students who will find the program advantageous.

The Jump program allows incoming freshman to take two core classes – Freshman Composition, College Algebra or Precalculus, U.S. Government or U.S. History – for the price of one.

In Summer IV, however, any undergraduate can choose from 26 classes, 15 of which are 3000 or 4000 level (for a complete list, see Page 3).

The classes offered were considered "high-demand," and provide a good opportunity for upperclassmen to knock out a few courses needed to complete their degrees.

The classes will not be offered at a two-for-one rate, but rather will be discounted by 50 percent. So where students would normally have to take two classes to receive a price cut, they may take only one or an odd number of classes and see similar financial relief.

Students will also receive the full benefit of an in-person professor, as none of the courses offered will be online, cable or video classes.

It’s good to see the University making changes to accommodate continuing students rather than focusing solely on freshman. Many upperclassmen are on their last leg, working hard to finish up their final courses. The requirement that a student’s last 30 hours be taken at UH puts many in difficult position. A degree that could be completed in a semester or two may take a year or more, as the specific classes a student needs may not be offered the semester he or she needs them.

The reduced rates available in Summer IV will give upperclassmen another opportunity to take classes toward their degrees and can help them complete their education in a more timely manner.

Students should take advantage of the discount, especially as tuition continues to increase, and consider enrolling in Summer IV.