Planned Parenthood to open site near UH

UH and its surrounding community will soon find Planned Parenthood and its services a stone’s throw away.

For students, this will mean easier access to services such as annual pelvic exams, pregnancy counseling, an abortion clinic and other services not provided by the University Health Center.

"For students who are not eligible to use our services, such as UH alumni and their peers, Planned Parenthood will provide another option that is in a familiar area," University Health Center Chief Nurse Laura Moore said.

The center’s Women’s Clinic offers some services provided by Planned Parenthood, such as annual exams, pap smears, testing for sexually transmitted diseases and HIV, among other services, Women’s Clinic Nurse Practitioner Virginia Miller said.

For students who use Planned Parenthood for yearly exams and other services, the new location, slated for 4600 Gulf Freeway, near Texas Spur 5 and across from UH, will be well-received.

"I think that Planned Parenthood’s services are beneficial to college women," biology senior Ruby Phillip said. "As future professionals, we would want to choose whether or not to have a have a baby at this time. Planned Parenthood’s new location near UH and TSU is well-situated."

The new, six-story, 75,000-square-foot location will be larger and have a more contemporary design. Unlike the location at 3601 Fannin St., the new building will also have an on-site parking garage. The organization hopes the modern interior will attract both affluent and low-income patients.

"We’re expanding our facilities to serve the growing Houston community. The new location will provide greater accessibility to our clients," Planned Parenthood spokeswoman Laura Leon said.

With more than 860 affiliate clinics, Planned Parenthood is the largest reproductive health care organization in the United States. The organization provides well-woman exams, birth control pills, condoms, breast exams, HIV/AIDS testing, pregnancy testing and abortions, among others.

In 2006, abortion services accounted for 6 percent of all services provided by the Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas.

Biology junior Kristen Rillieux said the proximity of the clinic to the campus would only benefit female students.

"It’s better for women to perform abortions with information rather than without it," Rillieux said.

In addition to its Gulf Freeway location, Planned Parenthood is also planning to open two smaller clinics, which will not perform abortions, to serve suburban Houston locations.

Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas, Inc., is working to raise $16.5 million to complete the new center.

The organization has received numerous contributions, including an $850,000 challenge grant from the Kresge Foundation and additional grants from the Brown Foundation, Houston Endowment and the Cullen Trust for Health Care.

"Planned Parenthood has been around for quite some time and those who have used their services in the past will continue to do so," University Health Center Director Floyd Robinson said. "The fact that they are now neighbors to the University of Houston will make it convenient for those who want to continue utilizing their services."