Reep brings ‘hick’ humor to town

Jon Reep is finding it increasingly hard to shake his past. Reep may be an accomplished actor, stand-up comedian and winner of NBC’s most recent season of Last Comic Standing, but it’s his role as "The Hemi Guy" in Dodge’s pick-up truck commercials that seems to follow him the most.

Reep, performing August 8---10 at Houston’s Improv Comedy Theater, isn’t always sure how to deal with the popularity of his alter ego.

"It depends on what mood I’m in," Reep said. "But you have to appreciate the thing that puts you on the map. I’m always going to be ‘The Hemi Guy’ to some, but I’ll take it."

In a stand-up routine similar to immensely popular Blue Collar comedians such as Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall, Reep is a self-described hick from North Carolina.

"My stand-up is a celebration of small town life, big city people versus small town people. I talk about family, married life, everyday things people go through," he said.

Reep’s success wasn’t always guaranteed. A communication graduate North Carolina State University, Reep led a double life as student during the day and stand-up comic at night. After two years of working as a television production assistant, Reep decided to quit his job and became a full-time comic. Reep soon discovered telling jokes for a living wasn’t as easy as he anticipated.

"I struggled. I knew I was pretty good and that I was learning and getting better, but I was hardly making any money. I was living off of credit cards and building up a huge debt," he said.

Reep soon found his niche by performing for colleges and eventually at sold out comedy clubs, building a reputation as one of the hardest working comedians in the country. While also honing his skills as an actor, Reep soon became a household face in 2003. Dressed as a dirty, unshaven oaf, Reep’s love-it-or-hate-it line of "that thing got a Hemi?" became an unexpected phenomenon.

"I had no clue it would become what it did. I didn’t even think [Dodge] would want to do a second or third commercial, and we ended up doing six of them. I didn’t think anyone would know what a Hemi was, but I couldn’t have been more wrong," he said.

Reep followed his success with a role on the short-lived ABC sitcom Rodney before auditioning for, and winning, season five of Last Comic Standing in 2007. Aside from the invaluable exposure, Reep won $250,000 in prize money and a Bravo special.

"I immediately gave a portion to Uncle Sam so the IRS wouldn’t come after me," he said. "I didn’t want to be the next Richard Hatch (from Survivor)."

Reep will perform at the Improv Aug. 8-10; tickets are $20. For more information, visit www.jonreep.com.