From the Opinion editor: Semester incites change, reflection

With the onset of the fall semester comes an opportunity for a fresh start -academically and otherwise.

Many of us, over the course of a few semesters, get bogged down in the trench warfare-like grind of reaching our goals. While keeping focus on the current semester and its classes’ assignments, it’s easy to lose sight of the big picture – – graduation and subsequent employment.

Thankfully, each new semester is an opportunity to reassess and learn from the mistakes of semesters past. We can abandon what has failed us and readjust our schedules and habits to increase our chances for success.

Many judge us by our grade-point average, – which is just another way our identities are disregarded for a numeric quantity. Though GPA is important, it can fluctuate, and there’s always a chance to improve it. A disappointing spring semester can set the stage for an improved performance in the fall semester.

If your professors use WebCT, take advantage of it. Use supplemental materials and connect with classmates. Don’t be shy; invite them to study.

You don’t need to be failing a subject to go to tutoring; it’s available to all students. Also, volunteer to tutor. Helping others to understand, in turn, gives us greater understanding.

Success can only be partially measured through academic performance; involvement in activities and organizations is a key ingredient. Even if you have only a semester or two left, it’s never too late to get involved in campus organizations. Not only is joining an organization a great opportunity to make new friends and serve your school and community, but it also builds your resume and can be a positive topic of discussion between you and potential employers during the interview process.

In a metropolis such as Houston, the opportunities to volunteer and participate in internships are infinite. Your passions and interests will more than likely lead you to an organization or agency that’s been waiting for someone like you. The right internship can be worth more than a 4.0 GPA.

With this and every new semester, reflect upon the past, learn from your mistakes and don’t be afraid to venture out of your element – your future’s at stake.

Webb, a political science and creative writing senior, can be reached via [email protected]