Literary subculture rises above the norm

In whichever atmosphere is preferred – on campus or around the city -students have many opportunities to hear quality works of literature read with fervor at poetry and prose readings.?The Poetry ‘ Prose reading series presented by the University of Houston Libraries in conjunction with the Creative Writing program will hold two readings this semester that provide the perfect opportunity for students to get their literature fill.

"Sept. 10 we have new faculty poets Matthew Zapruder and Martha Serpas; Nov. 12 we have four of the best new students admitted to the Creative Writing Program" Carolyn Meanley, University of Houston Libraries coordinator, said. ?Both readings begin at 5:30 p.m. and will be held at The Honors College Commons located inside the M.D. Anderson Library. For more information on, visit www.info.lib.uh.edu.

Another place to hear the work of great writers is in Houston’s Theater District. The Inprint Margarett Root Brown Reading Series, now its 28th year, brings Houstonians yet another fine series including well-known writers. The 2008-2009 series begins Sept. 15 with Junot Diaz at Zilkha Hall, Hobby Center, 800 Bagby St. All readings are held at 7:30 p.m. on Mondays and feature an on-stage interview with the author, as well as a book signing run by Brazos Bookstore following the reading. For more information, visit www.inprinthouston.org.?Those who believe literature and alcoholic beverages are a perfect match, look no further than the Poison Girl Bar, 1641 Westheimer Rd. It hosts the Poison Pen Reading Series at 8:30 p.m. the last Thursday of every month. ?"(Poison Girl has) a great patio, incredible atmosphere and cheap drinks. There’s a more casual feel to the whole thing because it’s at a bar. And if you like someone’s work, you can buy him or her a drink at the end," English professor and Poison Pen board member David MacLean said. "Dammit, that’s a kind of reader response we can all live with"

The laid-back atmosphere makes it the perfect environment for a variety of literature fans.

"We get a pretty wide swath of people who come out to our readings, which I think surprised us all." MacLean said. "We figured it’d just be ourselves and our friends, but it has turned into something else entirely. We now have publicists contacting us and national writers are coming in to read." For more information visit www.myspace.com/poisongirlbar.?And you need a dose of poetry every week and a cup of coffee to go with it, Taft Street Coffee House, 2115 Taft St., has you covered. Open-mic poetry night is held at 8 p.m. every Tuesday, with sign-up beginning at 7:30 p.m. For more information, visit www.myspace.com/taftstreetcoffee