Roaring back onto campus

New and veteran students alike can jump-start their return to campus with Cougar Roar, a week of welcome-back events sponsored by the Residence Halls Association.

"We’ve had a little problem in the past with marketing, but this year we’re really trying to market this really hard so people know this is a standing tradition," Tiffany Lester, RHA Vice President of Special Events, said.

The events are targeted toward students who live on campus, but commuters are also welcome.

A successful Roar is the first step in RHA’s goal of keeping students aware and involved in events on campus all year, Lester said. Students should also keep an eye out for a calendar in the Moody Towers Commons for activities around campus, even ones not sponsored by RHA.

Other plans include long-time traditions such as the Beauty Bowl – a ladies football game during homecoming. A new contest will allow freshmen and sophomore residents the chance to run for Duke or Duchess of the residents’ halls around the same time.

"I would encourage everyone to get involved in their floor council, to come to our general assemblies, or to come to the programs we’re hosting," Lester said. "It’s the best way to meet people; it’s the best way to get involved."

Cougar Roar Schedule:

Tuesday: Campus walk and ice cream social

7 p.m. Lynn Eusan Park

Get the scoop on the UH services and sites, then finish it off with a scoop of ice cream.

Wednesday: Movie night

9 p.m. Oberholtzer Hall

Movie and snacks for all.

Thursday: Welcome mixer

9 p.m. Oberholtzer Ballroom

Socialize over music and "mocktails."

Friday: Park jam

5 p.m. Lynn Eusan Park

Catch the step show hosted by UH’s fraternities and sororities.