Professor to lead Honors College

Stuart Long will leave his post as associate dean of undergraduate research and The Honors College to fill the vacancy left in the wake of Honors College Dean Ted Estess’ resignation.

Though his role as interim dean of The Honors College won’t be a permanent one, Long said he looks forward to contributing to the college’s growth within coming months.

"It’s a great opportunity, and I’m really fortunate to have the ability to work with the college at this level," Long said.

Long’s appointment as interim dean of The Honors College will be effective Monday as The Honors College Dean Search Committee continues its search for Estess’ successor.

During his tenure as interim dean, Long said he hopes to enhance the image of The Honors College, increase the number of its applicants and uphold the standard that Estess nurtured for the past 30 years.

"Nobody can fill his shoes. He is The Honors College. He knows every Honors student," Long said. "The Honors College gives students an opportunity to gain real instruction. That’s what I will be emphasizing."

Long has served as the associate dean for undergraduate research and The Honors College for the last two years.

Long began teaching at UH as an assistant professor of electrical engineering in 1974 and became a full professor in 1985.

For the past 15 years Long has served as chair to the Cullen College of Engineering and has played a part of the college’s development. Since 1996 Long has worked to enhance engineering education for both middle school and high school students as associate dean of the college.

English professor and Executive Associate Dean of The Honors College William Monroe, Boston College political science professor Marc Landy, University of Mississippi biology professor Murray Nabors and University of North Texas English professor James Duban are the four candidates vying for the college’s deanship.

Interim Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Jerald Strickland said he hopes to have the position filled by January.