Khator stresses flagship status during faculty senate meeting

UH President Renu Khator emphasized the efforts being made for the University’s flagship status at Wednesday’s Faculty Senate meeting.

By gaining the support of the Greater Houston Partnership, Khator hopes the University’s desire to reach flagship status will permeate to the entire Houston community.

"The community out there sees our efforts to become a top-tier University as a constant and consistent effort," Khator said. "Our goal is to make sure that the GHP focuses on giving UH flagship status a priority."

System Executive Associate Vice President for Academic and Faculty Affairs

Elaine Charlson, the executive associate vice president for Academic and Faculty affiars, reported that of the University’s 60 new faculty members.Thirty-three faculty members have also been lost because of job opportunities and one death.

Charlson also reported a 5.7 percent decrease in students pursuing doctoral degrees and a 6.8 percent increase in students pursuing master’s degrees. The number of complete applications submitted to the University has also increased and thus increased the number of admission denials as well.

On the topic of financial aid and disenrollment, Charlson said the "process was not monitored carefully enough."

The 60 new faculty members face criminal background checks. The University cannot legally conduct criminal background checks on current faculty members, but it can on incoming faculty, UH Vice President for Legal Affairs Dona Cornell said.

The background checks cost $1 to $2, pending the information requested.

"Misdemeanors are not a big consequence," Cornell said. "Felony charges are when you really want to start looking into that person."

Vice President for University Advancement Michael Rierson reported that the University was able to raise 54 percent more in funds than last year. Approximately $80 million was raised and $6 million went to University-funded scholarships.

On Khator’s upcoming Investiture Gala, Rierson reported that more than 70 tables have been sold and $900,000 was raised just for the campus.

"These galas are a great opportunity for tradition and celebration," Rierson said. "But they also provide an entry point for new individuals who may want to identify with a college (in the University) and donate."

Rierson is also planning on partnering with the Houston Alumni Association on providing an annual awards ceremony to alumni donors, he said.

Sociology professor Joseph Kotarba reported on the Coalition for Intercollegiate Athletics, to which the University belongs, and proposed that a survey be conducted on athletes. The survey would study how student athletes compare to average students in terms of treatment, admissions procedures and education.

"The major goal is to bridge the gap between sports and school, and see if student athletes go through the same process as the average student," Kotarba said.

He also said the University was penalized by the coalition on one sports-based scholarship because of a technicality.

The next Faculty Senate meeting will be held Sept. 24 at the M.D. Anderson Library, Elizabeth D. Rockwell Pavilion.