Eye Alaska blends genres

Fearless Records has a fairly generic roster with a handful of memorable bands, including the Plain White T’s, notorious for the "Hey There Delilah" track we all hated but secretly loved. One of its most recent signings, Eye Alaska, is a talented quartet from Orange, Calif. The group blends r’b, jazz, pop and rock into a self-proclaimed brand of "cinematic rock."

Brandon Wronski, lead singer and songwriter for Eye Alaska, is a true believer in his band’s ability to transcend genres and believes there’s something in its music for everybody.

"You don’t go through life listening to one genre of music," Wronski said. "We felt that making a record for every aspect of life and not limiting yourself to one genre is great."

The singer’s influences reflect why the band partakes in such a diverse sound.

"One of my main influences is Hans Zimmer and (movie soundtracks), and I listen to that stuff all day," Wronski said. "(I also listen to) old Motown, Justin Timberlake and The Jackson 5."

The quartet played a very intimate set to about 30 concertgoers Friday, but still played as if it were a sold-out show, something new bands should take note of.

"There’s nothing like playing an intimate show," Wronski said as the band took the stage.

The band played a short set, but considering the only release it has is the six-song EP Yellow and Elephant, the length was more than enough time to win over those who hadn’t heard the band’s music. Big things are in store for Eye Alaska, namely that the group is in the beginning stages of recording a new album.

"We’re just keeping the same concept going, and it’s going to be a genre-less album," Wronski said. "It’s pretty much already written, and it’s going to be awesome. I’m very excited for it."

The band blazed through every song on its EP, rounding the set out to about 30 minutes. The band has a commanding stage presence. From the fancy footwork of bassist Chris Osegueda to the harmonizing backup vocals of Chase Kensrue and Cameron Trowbridge, Eye Alaska has the live aspect of the band on lock. You’ll also notice that Wronski carries around and wears a backpack on stage, even while performing. As in every other interview, the question as to what the backpack holds had to be asked.

"Everyone asks that!" Wronski said. "It’s just a bunch of stuff that’s close to me to keep reminding me where I came from."