Contenders hit the trail

With major party conventions finished and presidential nominations made official, Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John McCain can finally duke it out in the final two months before Election Day.

First, both candidates had to officially accept their nominations.

The conventions both left a mark in the annals of American history. Obama became the first black man to be nominated by a major party and Gov. Sarah Palin became the first Republican woman to be nominated for vice president.

However, the conventions were not without controversy.

Obama gave his acceptance speech on Aug. 28 to a record 84,000 people. Although well received, the lasting effects of Obama’s speech were cut short by McCain’s selection of Palin.

Palin’s nomination stole attention from the DNC and the momentum it had built up, United Press International reported.

Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani and Palin are being looked down upon by Obama’s campaign for their ridicule of his community organizing record, The Washington Post reported.

However, The Washington Post praised both conventions for their tenacious speakers and speeches.

With the conventions out of the way, both candidates have agreed to engage in presidential debates.

The first presidential debate is to be held on Sept. 26, at the University of Mississippi’s Gertrude C. Ford Center in Oxford, Miss. The debate will analyze candidates’ positions on foreign policy and national security, The Associated Press reported.

The second debate will be on Oct. 7 at Belmont University’s Curb Event Center in Nashville, Tenn., according to Belmont University’s Web site. The debate will be in a town hall format where voters can question candidates, Reuters reported.

The last debate will be on Oct.15 at Hofstra University’s Hofstra Arena in Hempstead, N.Y. This debate will address each candidate’s take on domestic and foreign policy, the AP reported.

There will be only one vice-presidential debate between Sen. Joe Biden and Palin. The debate will be on Oct. 2 at Washington University in St. Louis’ Field House Gymnasium in St. Louis, Missouri, according to the university’s Web site.

The debates will feature both major party candidates as well as any third-party and independent candidates who average 15 percent support in polls.

As Election Day nears, both major candidates embark on historical presidential races.