Campus to have poetry, music

Though studying is key to college success, it’s also good to give yourself a break and enjoy exciting events right here on campus.

Enjoy lunch and a concert as the Student Program Board hosts the first of the 5 Artists, 5 Days Concerts at the University Center Satellite. Christian artist Crystal Cooper will kick off the series today from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Music has always been a major part of Cooper’s life, growing up in a household where her father played saxophone. Listen to her music at www.myspace.com/miscrystalcooper. For more information about SPB and other artists scheduled as part of the concert series, visit www.uh.edu/spb.

The excitement continues with the University of Houston Libraries and Creative Writing Program’s Poetry ‘ Prose reading series. The first reading will feature poets Martha Serpas and Matthew Zapruder.

Serpas has published two poetry collections, Côte Blanche (2002) and The Dirty Side of the Storm (2007). She is a graduate of Yale Divinity School and the UH Creative Writing Program. She is now thepoetry editor of the Tampa Review.

Zapruder has also written two collections of poetry, American Linden and The Pajamaist (2006). UH English professor Tony Hoagland chose him as the winner of the Poetry Society of America’s William Carlos Williams Award.

This reading, which will be held at 5:30 p.m. in The Honors College Commons, is free and open to the public. Lemonade and light refreshments will be provided. For more information, visit www.info.lib.uh.edu/dev/events/pandp.html.