Ike damages campus buildings

When Hurricane Ike crossed University grounds it caused an estimated $12 million in damages, leaving fallen trees and mangled rooftops as the most noticeable signs of destruction.

Dave Irvin, associate vice president of Plant Operations, said although a select number of buildings sustained major damage, the University was fortunate.

"Days before the hurricane hit we had already contracted construction workers and clean-up crews to get UH up and running and back on the road to recovery," Irvin said.

Contracted workers, Plant Operations employees and cleaning crews managed to clear water-damaged materials and dehumidify moist areas.

"We didn’t lose power, so that helped. We were able to get in to rip out wet ceiling tiles, carpets and walls quickly," Irvin said. "There were no mold problems in any of the buildings."

The Architecture Building and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center were hardest hit. More than a quarter of the Architecture Building’s roof was damaged by severe winds.

The building will reopen for classes today, but the west end of the facility will remain closed until further notice, and architecture studios from the west half of the top floor were relocated to the ground floor atrium.

The Campus Recreation and Wellness Center incurred roof damage over the area housing the indoor swimming pool, and temporary roofing was put in place.

The Melcher Center for Public Broadcasting will also need a new roof as rain penetrated some of its television studios and scene shops.

"Channel 8 and KUHF staffs were working during the hurricane, and they were able to keep electrical equipment from getting water damage," Irvin said.

Most repairs for the three buildings will take place during the next four to five weeks, but construction of permanent roof fixtures of the Architecture Building and the Rec Center probably won’t take place until winter break, Irvin said.

The Roy G. Cullen Building, the Fine Arts Building, Law Hall and the Athletics/Alumni Center suffered water damage and leakage, and the basement of the Ezekiel W. Cullen Building sustained minor flooding.

Irvin said University officials look at disasters as an opportunity to learn how to make the campus’ buildings safer and more durable.

"We’ve taken a hard look at how to economically make the buildings more disaster resistant and are committed to increasing our ability in that regard," Irvin said.