UH launches relief daycare

With University classes in full swing this week, many students and professors will easily pick up where they left off before Hurricane Ike. However, those with children face the question of what to do with their kids as many Houston and surrounding area schools have yet to open their doors.

Despite the University’s reopening on Sept. 16, Robert Zaretsky, professor of French history at The Honors College, was unable to hold classes until this week, when UH enlisted the help of volunteers to offer childcare to students, faculty and staff in need.

"I had no place to place the children, and as a consequence I was their primary care giver. I could not bring them into my classes, especially risking the roads and the highways with the absence of traffic signals," Zaretsky said.

On Tuesday the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center extended childcare services to offer a place where students, faculty and staff members could leave their children between the ages of two and 12.

"We just feel like it’s our opportunity to do a little bit to help folks out. It’s not a perfect situation, but we’re just trying to accommodate people as best we can," Staff Associate Director of Campus Recreation Jeffrey Parks said.

Last week Zaretsky canceled classes to watch his 3-year-old daughter, Louisa, and 9-year-old stepson, Ruben, who attend elementary school in Clear Lake Independent School District, which will remain closed until Monday.

"It was only (Tuesday), a week after the University has reopened, that the University has actually provided something real and concrete to meet this fundamental need of shelter for families at the University," Zaretsky said.

Zaretsky said if the Recreation Center had not extended services to faculty members this week he would have had to pay for a sitter or continue to try to find childcare on campus as he did Monday at The Honors College.

Volunteers provided temporary childcare for students, faculty and staff on Monday at M.D. Anderson Library in The Honors College Commons, organized by English professor Ann Christensen.

With the capacity to take in 32 children between the ages of 2 and 5 and 75 kids between the ages of 6 and 12, the Recreation Center will provide childcare throughout the remainder of the week from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Chemistry professor Cheng Zhai Chai, who brought his 8-year-old son, Rhett and 6-year-old daughter, Doreen to Cubbie Corner on Tuesday, said he was glad to have this service available at UH.

"I am still without power at home, so it gives the kids somewhere to play while I’m in class," Chai said.

For more information regarding childcare services at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, call (713) 743-7529.