RUTH RECOMMENDS: Exhibit pairs abstract works

ArtStorm’s Lo-Fi No-Brow Folk Show opened to a packed house on Saturday featuring local artists and musical performances by Houston acts The Wiggins, Hearts of Animals and Benjamin Wesley.

Those who missed opening night will find a trip to the exhibition will be time well spent as, even without the musical acts, the show gives local art lovers a chance to delve into the folk art influenced works of Houston-based painters Glen Gips and Jon Read.

Lo-Fi No-Brow Folk Show offers a glimpse into Read’s imaginative realm of mythical creatures and cartoon-like warriors. Read’s rich, highly detailed allegorical paintings evoke a sense of adventure and awe that seems to leap from the canvas.

Read graduated from Kent State in 2000, and his art has been featured at All Rise Gallery in Chicago, Texas Firehouse in New York and at local art venues Station Museum, The Orange Show and Commerce Street.

The exhibition, curated by ArtStorm board member Kyle Reynerson, pairs Read’s saturated artwork with the subdued, abstract drawings of local artist Gips.

Gips’ auto-drawings and portraits titled "In the Moment" are based on the artist’s day-to-day experiences and reflect impressions of the people he encounters. The artist, well-read in history and biography, also reveals a fresh take on historical figures such as George Washington in his hand-sketched renditions.

ArtStorm, founded in October 2007 as an outlet for up-and-coming independent artists, is located in the Caroline Collective building in Houston’s Museum District.

The gallery is open from noon to 7 p.m. on Saturday and from noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday, or by appointment.

Lo-Fi No-Brow Folk Show will run through Oct. 18 at ArtStorm, 4828 Caroline St. Admission is free.

For more information, call (713) 568-8174 or visit www.artstormhouston.com.