Heroes make for a memorable night

The Gym Class Heroes have been busy the past few months, managing to work with big-name producers and getting cameos from Daryl Hall and Busta Rhymes for their newest album, The Quilt.

Soon after the release, the group set out for a co-headline tour with the Roots, and stopped by Houston to play on Friday at the Meridian.

Now unfortunately for Houston, The Roots were not on the bill for the Houston stop, for reasons unknown. However, Travis McCoy and company managed to keep their fans happy with an energetic and hyped hour and 15-minute performance.

One of the most dreaded moments of any live show is the anticipation of the group to play their hit single, so when GCH kicked their set off with the obnoxious "Clothes Off," the crowd was immediately full of life. The group played a very diverse set, complete with songs from their back catalog and a handful of songs off The Quilt.

One of the biggest highlights of the set was the medley off The Papercut Chronicles. Old and new fans alike were pleased to hear songs like "Papercuts," "Simple Living" and "Taxi Driver." Other highlights included "Viva La White Girl," a song in which McCoy uses cocaine as a metaphor for his addiction to music, and their most recent hit, "Cookie Jar."

On "Peace Sign/Index Down," McCoy commanded the 1,000 person capacity venue to hold peace signs and throw their index fingers down simultaneously, and the group even squeezed a Prince cover of "When Doves Cry" into their set.

Estelle brought soul and r’b from the U.K. and performed a strong 45-minute set. One of the biggest surprises of the night came from the fact that she had brought her own touring band, complete with three harmonizing back-up singers, a bassist and a live drummer, which gave the singer’s pop sensibilities a bigger sound. The biggest crowd reaction came from her performance of crossover hit "American Boy."

For cities that get the entire tour package with The Roots, Houston will more than likely have a lot to be jealous about. However, Estelle and Gym Class Heroes did a commendable job of holding down the stage at the Meridian.

Gym Class Heroes’ The Quilt is in stores now.