Defining the limits of quirk

Chances are if you’ve heard of the now defunct Blood Brothers, you are aware that many of its members have been involved with other projects throughout its history. Now that the band is officially over, members have moved on to these projects permanently, and Jaguar Love leads the pack.

Johnny Whitney, one of two lead singers in the Blood Brothers, has joined forces with ex-Blood Brothers guitarist Cody Votolato and Jay Clark, a former guitarist for Pretty Girls Make Graves, to create the even stranger force, Jaguar Love. The group is quirky, technical and spastic in all aspects of the word.

To be honest, the group is not the most accessible band for the masses, as Whitney’s voice sits on a higher register than most people can imagine. The vocals, combined with a very technical soundscape of math-rock time signatures of guitars, organs, drums and everything between, form one of the most unique bands around.

If you were one of the very few who understood the Blood Brothers, then you won’t have many surprises when it comes to Jaguar Love. Their high energy and thought-out, yet hardly discernable, lyrics will be sure to grab your attention.

The band has set out on a 25-date US tour in which it will co-headline mid-sized venues with Tokyo’s own new-wave oddballs Polysics. Polysics have kept busy in the past year supporting its eighth full-length album, We Ate The Machine. Although the band is huge in Japan, Jaguar Love has been garnering enough attention off of Take Me to the Sea, its debut album here in the U.S. Together, one can only imagine how strange this show will actually be.

In all honesty, what else do you have to do on a Sunday night besides watch two eccentric and bizarre bands co-headline one stage? Go ahead and let your curiosity run free and check out Jaguar Love and Polysics at 7 p.m. Sunday at the Meridian.