Concert Preview: Start weekend with Trail of Dead

Daylight Savings Time can be a drag, but starting the weekend early could help. Those who just can’t wait until Friday to rock are in luck…. And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead is hitting Warehouse Live tonight, and three outstanding local acts, including The Goods, are supporting the Austin act.

The Goods have come a long way toward a more comprehensive sound over the last few years. They began as a group of childhood friends, who grew up to live in a house together, playing music in their garage and road-tripping in the summer.

They began to record, balancing dreams of rock stardom and a pure love for making music. They had fun. They even created a MySpace page in 2006 and posted some songs under the name Corduroy Funk Pirates, but they rarely used it.

Somewhere, though, they learned to record and jam, while still writing songs while going to school. In November 2007, the band released its debut record Making the Sound, largely praised by Space City Rock. Rather than playing regular small joints on the north side, the band has traveled much more frequently into town to play to Generation X-and-Y-ers in quaint neighborhood bars as well as larger venues.

The appeal certainly makes a lot of sense. Both crowds appreciate the edgy, raw, almost anti-authority aesthetic punk sound mixed with clean and catchy yet pissed off ’90s-esque tunes. Guitarist and vocalist Jesse Flores told The Houston Press early last year he didn’t want his music to be limited to prototypical post-grunge, and it isn’t – still, one can’t help smile when listening, not just because of the nostalgia it invokes, but in the young-yet-going places attitude the four has received that’s so confident and flattering.

Heist at Hand and Spain Colored Orange (formerly known as 8-Track Charade) are also slated to play the show, and will surely bring plenty of angst, beats and distortion before Trail of Dead performs.

Doors open at 8 p.m. and tickets are $10. Don’t miss this chance to celebrate mini-Friday starting with this rockin’ show.