Concert preview: Grant on retro tour

Legendary Contemporary Christian Music superstar Amy Grant is celebrating the 20th anniversary re-release of her 1988 groundbreaking album, Lead Me On. Grant will perform 7:30 p.m Thursday at The Fellowship of the Woodlands Church.

Amy Grant has enjoyed a 30-year career, which began with her self-titled debut album released in 1978. She has since released many albums such as 1984’s Straight Ahead, during the early 1980’s which are now Christian music classics.

When Grant released 1985’s Unguarded, she achieved crossover success with the single "Find A Way." Later that year, she recorded a duet with former Chicago lead vocalist Peter Cetera titled "Next Time I Fall," which hit No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100 in 1986.

In 1988, Grant released Lead Me On, which has become her landmark album. It was the first contemporary Christian album to ship gold and debut at No. 1 on the CCM charts. The album went platinum. Lead Me On is currently celebrating its re-release with live recordings from the tour, as well as interviews with Amy Grant.

Lead Me On is perhaps one of the greatest albums Amy Grant has made. The overall sound of the album is timeless – a rarity in modern Contemporary Christian music. The themes of the album bring it to a new level. Songs such as "What About the Love" talk about social justice, while other songs explore such topics as marital fidelity on "Faithless Heart" as well as songs stemming from her life as a Christian such as "1974." The album’s title track has also become a staple song of many of her live performances. "Lead Me On" was also covered by fellow Contemporary Christian recording artist Bethany Dillon

Grant has also garnered criticism from the Christian community as well because of her crossover success. The 1992 hit single "Baby Baby" was refused airplay by some Christian radio stations because the video showed her dancing with a male actor who wasn’t her husband – a taboo in the Christian music industry.

Amy Grant’s music stems from two important things in her life: her faith in Jesus Christ and her relationship with her family. Her music is beautiful.

Tickets are still available through ticketservant.com. Reserved seating is available for $35, $30 and $25. General admission is $20 plus service charges