Distinguished UH professor adds to honors

Adding to an already decorated r’eacute;sum’eacute;, UH Cullen College of Engineering professor Fazle Hussain was elected to serve a three-year term on the board of directors for The Academy of Medicine Engineering and Science of Texas (TAMEST) beginning this month. Hussain joins four other directors and is the sole representative from the National Academy of Engineering chosen for the board in December 2008.

He said he is proud to have been elected and that he shares in the NAE’s ‘deep commitment to space, science and energy.’ In addition, he has always been a proponent for UH excellence and hopes to assist in further advancing the University’s standing.

Hussain’s research encompasses everything from fluid dynamics and cell mechanics to energy conservation. He first came to UH in 1971 after earning his Ph.D. in mechanical engineering at Stanford University and completing post-doctoral work at Johns Hopkins University. He holds the title of Cullen distinguished professor and teaches not only engineering, but physics, geosciences and bioengineering as an adjunct professor at Rice University.

At the California Institute of Technology, where he was recently named a Gordon and Betty Moore distinguished scholar, Hussain will be conducting six months of collaborative research in the field of fluid mechanics.

Despite his busy schedule, Hussain remains committed to the academy’s goals and the role of significant service to Texas.

Under the guidance of Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, TAMEST was founded in 2004 to bring together the top researchers from across Texas to foster new collaborations and scientific breakthroughs and garner more government funding.

‘The founders of TAMEST share a common mission: to elevate Texas as a global leader in scientific research, innovation and competitiveness,’ Hutchison said at TAMEST’s 2008 annual meeting.

TAMEST is also a proponent of K-12 education and ensuring adequate preparation for students pursuing science-related fields.

‘The academy is a participating organization of STEM and is committed to the societal concern of education in the sciences,’ said Hussain, referring to the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Education Coalition.

By issuing recommendations to parents, teachers and other members of the education system, TAMEST seeks to remedy the problems that schools across the country are facing.

Hussain said he considers TAMEST unique in that it does far more than any comparative state academy in terms of its broad impact not just in Texas but on the nation as well.

As evidence, the academy reports that since its inception it has helped bring an additional $900 million of federal research money to the state. This moved Texas to No. 3 in federal research and development dollars received.

The academy aspires to ensure both our state and nation remain leaders in the global economy and are capable of addressing the challenges of a changing global dynamic.

‘TAMEST is dedicated to quality and excellence,’ said Hussain.