DeVotchKa brings unique act to Texas

‘Eclectic’ as a descriptive word for Denver-based DeVotchKa would be a bit of an understatement. The quartet, which uses everything from accordions to guitars to trumpets, will make a stop in Houston at 7 tonight at Warehouse Live Studio.

DeVotchKa plays a unique blend of folk rock mixed with elements of American punk rock and a tinge of gypsy influence. The band also derives from and fuses Romani, Greek, Slavic and Bolero music into its truly signature sound.

Initially, it may be a bit much to chew, but DeVotchKa’s live show has been hailed as exceptional and an absolute spectacle.’ The group is on tour for its latest release, A Mad & Faithful Telling, which came out last March. The album saw favorable reviews, including a 7.7 out of a possible 10 on music review Web site pitchforkmedia.com, which seems to be an extremely impressive feat nowadays.

DeVotchKa hopes to garner new fans this time around through its uniqueness or strangeness, however you may perceive it. The band’s relentless touring schedule has taken it across the globe, helping it to develop strong followings in other markets such as Europe.

The group has been nominated for a Grammy, which is almost always impressive. In 2006, DeVotchKa collaborated with composer Mychael Danna on the score for the 2006 film Little Miss Sunshine, which received rave reviews.

The members of the band are all multi-instrumentalists and have been known to pick up several instruments throughout the course of their live sets.’ Lead singer Nick Urata dabbles with the theremin and trumpet in addition to assuming lead vocals and guitar duties. The self-deemed ‘United Nation-al junkyard’ of instruments also includes the use of sousaphones, bouzoukis and the double bass, just to name a few.

For this tour, DeVotchKa is bringing along fellow Denver band Crooked Fingers, which is touring in support of its 2008 album, Forfeit/Fortune.’ Together, the two bands are sure to turn quite a few heads.’

These two great musical acts are bringing something new to the table. So set your DVR for whatever you originally planned to watch tonight and get to the Warehouse Live Studio for a night of interesting, diverse music.

Doors open at 7 p.m., with the show starting at 8. Tickets are $20.