SDS works toward fair society

Mission: Students for a Democratic Society at UH is working to promote the active participation of young people in the formation of a movement to build a society free from poverty, ignorance, war, exploitation, racism and sexism.

Who’s in charge:
Child education junior Natalie Baba, political science junior Stephanie Caballero and history junior Robinson Block run SDS together.

Founded: Jan. 2009

Save the date: On March 7 SDS will protest the Hutto Family Detention Center in Taylor, Texas. SDS says that the Corrections Corporation of America holds children, mothers and pregnant women in a former medium-security prison as they wait for hearings on immigration charges.

Meeting times: Meetings take place every other Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. at the Palo Duro room, University Center. Meetings will be held on Feb. 25, March 11 and 25 and April 8 and 22.

Sign me up!:
Join the SDS mailing list by contacting [email protected]. Potential members may also join the SDS Facebook group or come to a meeting.
Courtesy of students for a democratic society at uh
SDS members work toward reforming a variety of social issues, including immigration policy.

‘SDS is a great group that helps mobilize students to get active and aware about issues like immigrant rights, occupation and war.’
Delfina Pei, political science junior

‘After finding out that there are women and children detained in prisons, we felt it was our job to take action for a change to this policy.’ – Stephanie Caballero, political science junior